Tuesday, April 6, 2010

supe President Chui steps up, but hey, where's the Chronicle?

Board of Supes president David Chui demonstrated some hyperbole-free leadership today by proposing that the Entertainment Comission (or some other government body) should have the right to permanently shutter problem nightclubs.  This is good news, in my opinion, as the EC is currently hamstrung by its lack of enforcement capabilities.  Since David Chui is not campaigning for the  pale glories of the Lt Governor's office,  his focus seems to be on what is best for San Francisco.  He has earned my interest by this action, and I will certainly attend any public hearings on the subject to support this proposal.

I was interested to note however, that I got this story, not from our local rag, the San Francisco Chronicle, but from the San Jose Mercury News.  the Chron seems to be limping toward oblivion these days. This is the sort of story that seems right up the Chronicle's alley, except it does not conform to their vision of a populace terrified by rampaging nightclub attendees.  I have read reports hither and yon, of reporters leaving the Chronicle like rats leaving a sinking ship.  I end up getting most of my local news from http://sfappeal.com/, http://www.sfbg.com/http://www.nbcbayarea.com/ and the microscopically local news from Noe Valley Voice and The Mission Blog.  I like having all those diverse opinions available to read, but it saddens me that the once mighty Chronicle's reportage has deteriorated so.

Oh hey, here's the Chronicle story, and its even written by a real person! Glad to note they have not given up entirely on reporting.  For a far more sober and cynical view of these recent events, you should definitely check out Jamie Z's blog today.

No comments:

Post a Comment